Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My belated birthday post- And my new(ish) house

A few days ago this special lady turned a number you wouldn't believe cause she looks way too young!And sadly enough, I didn't get to post about it. "Why" you ask... Well, I was just too busy trying to make my house as beautiful as she can do. She has quite the talent for making nice things look nicer, and the hopeless, beautiful.

Growing up we always had a well decorated house, and some pretty fun toy rooms. Instead of baking pies and cookies, my Mom was sewing, painting, garage sale-ing. ;-) And i never knew how much time and energy and brain power that took. Till now that is. Now that I have my own kids and my own home to make cute and functional. And I lie awake in my bed dreaming up different color combinations, Aqua and yellow. NO, aqua and orange. Wait, maybe a grapefruit color would be cute. I need more greens, maybe some grey?....AAAAAh! Or different uses for the various spaces in my house. And where to hang a photo. And yadda yadda.

So, though I honestly bought you a very cute gift, and it's still waiting in my car for me to ship. But - As an extra gift, I wanted to let you know I am starting to love my house, and I really wish i would have spent more of the 20 years I had living with you gleaning from your decorating wisdom.

Though, it's still a work in progress and I have some tidying up yet to do...and A LOT of sewing projects, and a bit of painting... it's coming along. And I thought you might enjoy seeing the progress.
Yesterday I sewed a faux screen door. It has magnetic attachments at the bottom to keep in anchored to keep flies and pesky mosquitoes out. I used to hate leaving the door open all day which meant the kids couldn't really play in our cool backyard. Not anymore my friends...not anymore. ;-) It's a tension rod, and some cool sheer fabric which I purchased for $4 at wal-mart.


My awesome pink chair that I LOVE. ;-) Still needs a coat of paint...not sure what yet. Probably black, but I'm not sure yet.

And now that we can hang outside, and keep the house bug free...I wanted a place to relax, read, nap...ya know. Whatever. ;-) I still plan to paint and cover the couch in something else, but this is how it looks for now.


My bathroom. I got rid of those shelves behind the toilet, and it completely opened this space up. Used a cute sheet (which still need to be sewn) as the curtain, a $1 garage sale find flower and the cutest beach photo of my beach babes. Oddly enough, this is one of my favorite spaces in the house.

Still a work in progress is my living room. It's coming along, but I think it will be the last room I will finish. I'm too uncommitted to anything I put in it. But for now, I like it.






HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY MOM!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Awww, sweetie, thanks! Fun to see all the cute touches you have added;-) Save something for me when I come in August! I honesty didn't feel as though I had been "ignored". Guess that's another benefit of having so many loving brothers and sisters...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. such gorgeous home improvements! so exciting and inspirational too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're so creative. You've done a good job! Thanks so much for letting Nate stay with you guys. He is really excited. I would love to come in a few months. I think we will try to make it happen. He definitely owes me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to get creative with the screen! good thinking friend! everything is looking so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great matti!
    and great idea for the bug screen door thingy.
    awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love all the work you're doing!!! looks so great, matti!! woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete