Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Hey Sis! Do you got your floaties on?"

"Hey Sis! Do you got your floaties on?" My brother asked on my cell this morning as I roamed with the kids around "higher ground"...waiting for 11:05 to come.

The tsunami generated by the earthquake in Chile was scheduled to hit the Big Island around 11. From there we might know better what to expect in Oahu.

Luckily it was nothing. But we were prepared for the worst. A little after 5 this morning, my friend's husband came to wake and warn us. I guess several others had already made attempts thoughtout the night. Our neighbors knocked on our door around 3AM, a few family members called and texted to check in on us...but we were knocked out sleeping peacefully in our room.

We threw together as much food storage and clothes and water that we thought we might need (yes, I really packed Eden's floaty suit). Put the computer in the highest part of the house, gathered more stuff, grabbed the kids, and headed for the hills around 7am...and waited and waited for what turned out to be nothing...luckily. It could have been a whole lot worse, seeing how our house is 200 yards from the ocean.

But, in the meantime...we had a good time. Thanks to our wonderful friends accomodating us in their home. If it wasn't for them, the morning could have been a lot less enjoyable with no place to nap, relax, hang out, eat, play ball, play duets on the piano, watch tv.

I don't feel like uploading the photos tonight. But they are on facebook...so just click here. Enjoy! And I'm glad we are all safe and sound. Heading to bed now.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=392275&id=677155160&l=8fe2fa3f3c

My friend posted a few photos of what the ocean actually did on her blog. She had a nice view from the mountain behind her house. See 'em here

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are safe and that you captured the day in photos. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it up to Miah to throw out a comment like that :) I am so happy that it all worked out. Thanks so much for our little chat that day also, you helped me out a ton. Love ya lots :)

    ReplyDelete